Sunday, August 21, 2011

Birth Story part 3

So as I was in the car headed to the hospital, apologizing to Richard, I notice that instead of going straight to the hospital, he makes a right down the main road.  I don't question it because I am in the middle of a contraction.  I realize that the time that he is taking the long way to the hospital!!!  Not the quick straight shot that will take about 5 minutes at 1:00 am, he takes the longer, 15 minute route.  I hear him say to himself, I don't know why I went this way.  In the mean time I am holding on to the console and my pillow for dear life.  The pain is SO BAD!  I hope and pray that these are contractions because if these are the fake Braxton Hicks, I just don't know what I'm going to do. 

On the way from my house to the hospital, I have 4 more contractions.  I no longer am apologizing to Richard about the baby being born on his birthday, I am telling myself that we are almost there, just a little while longer and praying that he will go faster and run lights and drive like a mad man. (Which is what he said he would do, and I am quite proud of him that he managed to keep cool during this whole time)

We finally make it to the hospital.  I tell him to go to the ER.  I'm watching the parking lot as well pull in and there is only one parking spot open.  I hope that its not crowded, I don't want to be the pregnant lady having to be wheeled in in labor like you see in the movies, that would be embarrassing.  Richard however would tell you that he asked if I wanted him to drop me off at the entrance and he could park later, and that I growled and told him to park, I don't even remember this question being asked LOL.  We park.  I get the car door open and a contraction hits.  I grab onto the only thing I can to help with the pain...the car door.  Richard comes around to help me out.  I'm holding onto the car for dear life and he grabs my arm not realizing I'm in the middle of a contraction and starts to pull me out of the car.  Now in his defense, he didn't know, and for weeks prior I had been having trouble getting out of my car without help.  Being forcefully moved in the middle of a contraction is no fun, let me tell you!!!  I immediately start crying and screaming in pain.  We wait till the contraction passes and I get out of the car with his help as fast as I can.  Its the only way that I would be able to without triggering another contraction.

We make it across the parking lot and inside the ER slowly, but no contractions.  Inside we go to the check in desk.  I had already made it a point to preregister, so I know that won't be an issue, but problem is, there is no one at the desk, no bell to ring or anything.  Richard starts pacing in front of every door and window in the ER hoping that someone will see him and come help us.  Finally someone does and he tells them I'm in labor.  she asks my name, birthday, social, Dr. name, etc.  FINALLY after getting the third degree from this woman, I'm wheeled to L&D.  The woman pushing the chair is going so fast, that I know Richard has a hard time keeping up because it literally seems like she is running the halls.  In the elevator, another contraction...,up to L&D and to the exam room, another contraction.  Getting out of the wheelchair to the table, another contraction.  They are coming so fast at this point, I can't hardly move.  The nurse tells me to get undressed, put on the robe and she is going to hook me to monitors and check me to see if I am in labor.  I remember telling her that they have to be contractions otherwise I just don't know what I am going to do. 

I try to get undressed and into the bed so that she can check me, but the contractions are just so painful, I can't catch my breath.  I finally manage with Richard's help and get on the table, and hooked to the monitors.  The nurse comes back..yup contractions!  THANK YOU LORD JESUS IN HEAVEN!!!  She checks me...7 CM!!!   I made it to 7 cm ALL BY MYSELF WITH NO PAIN MEDS!!  I am so excited, I tell that to the nurse and to Richard, I just can't contain my happiness among all that pain. 

I had been playing with the idea for a few months that I wanted to go without meds for as long as I could stand it, but I never told this to Richard, I knew he would veto it, but as it turns out, I got what I wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment