Monday, December 20, 2010

The most exciting nerve wracking thing I've ever done.

I have been planning for months, OK, maybe years, on how I was going to tell Richard that I was pregnant if the time ever came.  Several months before we even started trying I was a Cracker Barrel one day and saw the cutest Vanderbilt Onesie, bonus was that it was Newborn sized.  It was like it was calling my name, but I didn't want to jinx anything so I didn't buy it when I saw it.  I couldn't get it out of my mind and that is how I knew that I wanted to tell him.  When I saw it at the store they only had one left, so I figured that I would go back on my lunch break and if it was there, I was gonna buy it....and lo and behold it was.  Then I had to figure out how to hide this precious little piece of clothing from Richard.  I stashed it in my car, (which he found the bag, but didn't peek thank goodness), in my office at work, in my trunk, in my office at home, under the bed.  I couldn't come up with a good place because I was terrified that he would see it and be upset.

So on November 22, I was thrilled that I was finally getting the opportunity to put my plan into action.  I didn't want to tell anyone until I had told Richard first, because he and I created this little being, and he and I should be the first to know.  So as the clock ticked down till Richard was expected home, I kept getting more and more nervous.  I don't think I worked but 5 minutes total that day.   Looking back, I don't know why I was so nervous, but at the time, I wasn't sure of what his reaction was going to be.  I didn't know if he was going to be angry, excited, indifferent, happy.  I just wasn't sure, and I didn't know how I would react if he was anything but happy.

So he finally made it home.  I didn't want it to seem forced so I went out of my office to talk to him a little and to start dinner and chit chat.  I had told him earlier that I had gone to the store that day, so he could expect that much. 

I went back to my office to work, knowing that he would go take a shower and when he was finished, he would come back to the office where I would put my plan into motion. 

I was right, he came into the office, we chatted a bit more, and I asked him if he wanted to see what I had bought at the store.  He usually hates it when I do that, but like any good wife, I do it anyway.  So I pull out the onesie.  I see a wierd smirk start to form.  I don't say anything, I just hold it up.  He asks if its for the dogs....No.   He asks if its for Tyler and Jillian's little boy....No.   I think then he gets it.  I am definitely crying by this point, he is in shock, and asks if I'm sure.  I show him the tests.  I can't judge his reaction.  He walks to the fridge to get a beer and sits in the living room.  His first words were that he doesn't have enough time to clean out the spare room and paint and put carpet in the living room and everything.  I laugh, he laughs.  He asks when the due date is (July 31, 2011).   Then he says that I don't need to get my hopes up and that I need to see a doctor first.  I had already scheduled an appointment. 

I don't remember after that, I am assuming that I went back to work, and he was in a daze for the rest of the night.   I think everything went well.  He doesnt' seem angry or anything, just in shock, so I know that eventually this shock will lead to happiness and excitement.  I'm right.  After a few days, he mellowed out and overall he is pretty excited about the whole idea of being a Dad.  I am too....I know he'll be a great one, and I can't hardly wait to see it happen.

Oh and that doctor's appointment the next day.  Same results...positive pregnancy...I called him at work, so essentially I got to tell him that I'm pregnant twice.  :)  Pretty cool I think. 

Next up, telling the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment